The Feeling of Jazz – Spotlight on Jimmy Smith, 06-12-2022
The Feeling of Jazz, program # 153 airing June 12, 2022 (a reprise from 12-01-2013) featured a spotlight on American jazz musician James Oscar (Jimmy) Smith (December 8, 1925 – February 8, 2005) in music presented by Kent Lindquist, while Bill Satterlee took the week off. Engineered by Dave Woodworth.
8 p.m. Hour – Music by Title, Artist, Album, Composer, Time length
1. When My Dream Boat Comes Home, Jimmy Smith, Rockin' The Boat (Blue Note, 1963), Cliff Friend-Dave Franklin, 7:26 min.
2. See See Rider, Jimmy Smith, Home Cookin' (Blue Note, 1961), Ma Rainy, 6:32 min.
3. How High The Moon, Jimmy Smith, A Date With Jimmy Smith (Blue Note, 1957), Nancy Hamilton-Morgan Lewis, 5:56 min.
4. Bucket!, Jimmy Smith, Bucket! (Blue Note, 1966), Jimmy Smith, 4:40 min.
5. 1-2-3, Jimmy Smith, Got My Mojo Workin' (Verve, 1966), David White-John Medora-Len Barry, 4:20 min.
6. Blues and the Abstract Truth, Jimmy Smith, Hoochie Cooche Man (Verve, 1966), Oliver Nelson, 5:25 min.
7. Chitlins Con Carne, Jimmy Smith with Kenny Burrell, The Master (Blue Note, 1994 - live), Kenny Burrell, 5:43 min.
8. Confirmation, Jimmy Smith, House Party (Blue Note, 1958), Charlie Parker, 10:32 min.
9 p.m. Hour – Music by Title, Artist, Album, Composer, Time length
1. Get Me to the Church on Time, Shelly Manne & His Friends, Jazz Performances of My Fair Lady (Contemporary, 1956), Frederick Loewe-Alan Jay Lerner, 4:11 min.
2. Way Out West, Sonny Rollins, Way Out West (Contemporary, 1957), Sonny Rollins, 6:28 min.
3. Blues the Most, Hampton Hawes Trio, Hampton Hawes Trio (Contemporary, 1955), Hampton Hawes, 5:43 min.
4. A Walkin' Thing, Benny Carter, Jazz Giant (Contemporary, 1958), Benny Carter, 5:55 min.
5. Star Eyes, Art Pepper, Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section (Contemporary, 1957) Gene DePaul-Don Raye, 5:12 min.
6. Minor Mood, The Poll Winners (Barney Kessel-Shelly Manne-Ray Brown), The Poll Winners (Contemporary, 1957), Barney Kessel, 3:17 min.
7. Witch Doctor #2, Howard Rumsey's The Lighthouse All Stars (Barney Kessel, Hampton Hawes Trio with Shelly Manne), Lighthouse at Laguna (Contemporary, 1956; 1990 - CD), Bob Cooper, 5:59 min.
8. Complete, Curtis Counce, You Get More Bounce with Curtis Counce (Contemporary, 1957), Curtis Counce, 5:51 min.
9. Up There, Teddy Edwards-Howard McGhee, Together Again (Contemporary, 1961), Ray Brown, 3:27 min.